J.M. Wilkerson Construction, Inc. is looking for Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) / Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) / Women’s Business Enterprise (WBE) and Section 3 partners (trade partners, suppliers, etc.). A significant amount of the affordable housing construction that JMW performs requires participation in these programs.

HUD defines Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) as a business enterprise that is at least 51 percent owned and controlled by one or more minority or socially and economically disadvantaged persons. Such disadvantage may arise from cultural, racial, chronic economic circumstances or other similar causes.

The Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) program is a federally-mandated program intended to provide contracting opportunities to small businesses owned and controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals.

Women’s Business Enterprise (WBE) is an independent business concern that is at least 51 percent owned and controlled by one or more women who are U.S. citizens or Legal Resident Aliens; whose business formation and principal place of business are in the U.S. or its territories; and whose management and daily operation is controlled by a woman with industry expertise.

Section 3 standards are race and gender neutral. A minority and/or woman owned business enterprise must provide evidence that it meets at least one criterion of a Section 3 business concern outlined above in order to receive preference under Section 3. However, the Department anticipates that Section 3 will serve to support, and not impede, contract opportunities for MBEs. A Section 3 business concern is a business that meets at least one of the following criteria, documented within the last six-month period:

  1. At least 51 percent owned and controlled by low- or very low-income persons;
  2. Over 75 percent of the labor hours performed for the business over the prior three-month period are performed by Section 3 workers; or
  3. A business at least 51 percent owned and controlled by current public housing residents or residents who currently live in Section 8-assisted housing.

If you are a MBE/DBE/WBE and Section 3 business and would like to get in touch, please contact rsmith@jmwilkerson.com .