2010 Excellence in Design Awards
2010 Excellence in Design Awards
Congratulations to the 2010 ED+C Excellence in Design Award winners. The following five green building projects completed in 2009 demonstrate outstanding sustainable design techniques. In addition, ED+C recognizes the top finalists and notable honorable mentions.
The Commercial category winner, Blue Cross Blue Shield headquarters, will be featured in the October 2010 edition of ED+C and online at www.EDCmag.com.
WINNER: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island, Corporate HQ
Submitted By: SMMA (www.smma.com)
Date Completed: October 2009
Size: 327,000 square feet
Location: Providence, R.I.
* Hotel Indigo Athens, Submitted by Rialto Property Partners
* Franke Corporate Headquarters and Distribution Center, Submitted by Hastings Architecture Associates LLC
* SAP Americas Headquarters Expansion, Submitted by FXFOWLE Architects
Commercial Honorable Mentions:
A Grander View, Enermodal Engineering; Emerson Global Data Center, St. Louis, Fox Architects; Freeman Webb Building, Hastings Architecture Associates LLC; Hermann Park, Overland Partners Architects; National Grid’s New England Main Office at Reservoir Woods, National Grid; NRDC Eighth Floor Expansion, Croxton Collaborative Architects PC; RBC Centre, Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates; Technology Center, Orion Energy Systems; Terrazzo, Hastings Architecture Associates LLC; The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte, Balfour Beatty; and Twelve West, ZGF Architects LLP.
The Government winner, Roosevelt Community Center, will be featured in the November 2010 edition of ED+C and online at www.EDCmag.com.
Winner: Roosevelt Community Center
Submitted By: Group 4 Architecture, Research + Planning Inc. (wwww.g4arch.com)
Date Completed: March 2009
Size: 30,000 square feet
Location: San Jose, Calif.
Government Category Finalists:
* Keizer City Hall, Police & Community Center, Submitted by Group Mackenzie
* JPL Flight Projects Center, Submitted by LPA Inc.
* Research and Interpretive Center – Grand Bay NERR, Submitted by Lord, Aeck & Sargent (design architect)
* Blue Earth County Justice Center, Submitted by Paulsen Architects
Government Honorable Mentions:
Appaloosa Branch Library, City of Scottsdale, Ariz., PPG Industries; DuSable Harbor Building, David Woodhouse Architects; North Vancouver City Library, Diamond and Schmitt Architects; Silver Lake Branch Library, M2A Milofsky Michali & Cox Architects; and Tommy Douglas, Burnaby Public Library, Diamond and Schmitt Architects.
The Education category winner, Kroon Hall, will be FEATURED IN the September 2010 edition of ED+C and online at www.EDCmag.com.
Winner: Kroon Hall, Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies
Submitted By: Centerbrook Architects (www.centerbrook.com)
Date Completed: January 2009
Size: 68,818 square feet
Location: New Haven, Conn.
* Germantown Friends School, Upper School Science Classroom Building, Submitted by SMP Architects
* George R. White Library & Learning Center, Submitted by Group Mackenzie
* Medical Education Building, University of Windsor, Submitted by Diamond and Schmitt Architects
Educational Category Honorable Mentions:
Cañada College Facilities Maintenance Center, BCA Architects; Carleton College Dormitories, Reward Wall Systems; Columbia University Knox Hall, Helpern Architects; Creekview Ranch Middle School, Perkins+Will; Harris A. Smith Building for Packaging Science & Graphics at Clemson University, Lord, Aeck & Sargent; Immaculate Conception Catholic Regional School, Saccoccio & Associates Architects; Institute for Global Citizenship, Macalester College, Bruner/Cott; John Dorr Nature Laboratory, Horace Mann School, Centerbrook Architects; Lawrence University Campus Center, The Boldt Company; Ringling College of Art & Design – New Academic Building, Lawson Group Architects Inc.; Searle Chemistry Laboratory, Wilson Architects Inc.; and Western Washington University Academic Instruction Center, Opsis Architecture.
The Institutional category winner, Center for Global Conservation, will be featured In the August 2010 edition of ED+C and online at www.EDCmag.com.
Winner: Center for Global Conservation
Submitted By: FXFOWLE Architects (www.fxfowle.com)
Date Completed: June 2009
Size: 35,000 square feet
Location: Bronx Zoo; Bronx, N.Y.
* Holy Wisdom Monastery, Submitted by Hoffman LLC
* Herrington Recovery Center, Submitted by TWP Architecture
* Southface Energy Institute EcoOffice, Submitted by Lord, Aeck & Sargent
Institutional Honorable Mentions:
Freight & Salvage, Marcy Wong Donn Logan Architects; Rockefeller Brothers Fund, FXFOWLE Architects; Surfrider Foundation Headquarters, LPA Inc.; The Camilla and Peter Dalglish Atrium at the Royal Botanical Gardens, Diamond and Schmitt Architects.
(Single and Multifamily)
The Residential category winner, Los Vecinos, will be featured in the July 2010 edition of ED+C and online at www.EDCmag.com.
Winner: Los Vecinos
Submitted By: Wakeland Housing and Development Corporation (www.wakelandhdc.com)
Date Completed: April 2009
Size: 51,014 square feet
Location: Chula Vista, Calif.
* ECO Spanish Colonial, Submitted by EnviroHomeDesign
* English Residence, Submitted by ZeroEnergy Design
* My Sisters’ House, Submitted by UNCG-Urban Studio
* The Vermont Street Project, Submitted by New Energy Works
Residential Honorable Mentions:
Bethesda-Zero, Meditch Murphey Architects; Bluff House, Bruns Architecture; Casa Feliz Studios, First Community Housing (see page 18); Key Peninsula Residence, David Vandervort Architects; Labron Residence, mitchell garman architects; Mohle Remodel, Laura Britt Design.